Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How to make your house smell like Pie.

Want to fill your house with the smell of fresh baked pumpkin pie? Make these nuts!



For Mother's Day, I decided to make my mom a batch of candied pecans. I pulled from all kinds of candied nut recipes I found online and made my own concoction. They're really simple to make though, with minimal ingredients. I don't even feel like I can call this "my recipe".

These are all the ingredients you'll need. (next time I'll try a half/half ratio of brown sugar and white sugar for more of a molasses flavor)



3 cups pecans (I got salted ones. If you use unsalted, make sure to add a tsp of salt to the sugar mix)
2 egg whites
1 Tbs water
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 - 2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground clove

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with foil.

In a large bow, beat the egg whites and water with a fork until a little frothy and mix with the nuts to coat.

In another bowl, stir together sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. Stir into nuts.

Spread onto a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Mixing and turning the nuts with a spatula every 10 minutes.



Once cooled, they get nice and crunchy and you can break them up and put in pretty jars! Next time I'm going to try out hazelnuts and walnuts!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great idea!! thanks for sharing!! :D

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Let me tell you, they are GOOD! They are Heaven on earth. You better make your sister some for her birthday because I won't share and she keeps trying to sneak them.

magicbeanbuyer said...

thanks!

also, I hear they're good on salads...and, of course, ice cream!