Wednesday, June 22, 2011

surfaces

Whoever thought WHITE kitchen counter tops were a good idea, never had to clean them.

One of the things I miss most about my old apartment was the counter top. Before we moved in there years ago, they installed this spiffy new faux granite patterned (I have no idea really) counter. It was awesome. Shiny, no knife marks, didn't stain or show signs of stains (if they were there, I'd never know). It transported me into fantasy land where we lived in a snazzy modern apartment building. All the appliances were stainless steel and the floors pretty hardwood....not that crappy beige carpet.
Sorry...penis cookie shot is the only photo I could find of the counter at the moment.



Anywhoo...fast forward to my current apartment. I will admit, the counter space is literally double in size. But it's WHITE, and covered in knife marks. And no matter how hard I try, I cannot go a day without coffee drips finding their way onto the counter, making stain rings and dots everywhere. And where do all these crumbs come from? Is it a white counter thing? Did I just never notice them before? I have to zamboni the counter literally every 10 minutes. And it doesn't help that this photo makes the counter look not so bad. But trust me, it's seen better days.


I also think I got this clean counter obsession from my mom. I would say that 75% of my childhood (that's perhaps a big exaggeration) was spent watching her meticulously wipe a surface with a sponge. You gotta get to it before you forget, or it dries, or gets smeared by something else, or part of it falls on the floor. And I totally understand that now. It's very possible that I'm slowly becoming a clean freak, like she is, but this white kitchen counter isn't helping my cause!



Aside from ridiculous counter top woes, I've been working on a few custom wedding toppers, more foxes and some new raccoons! I'm loving how this zombie set is coming out. It's the first zombie cake toppers I've painted, but I think it's going well! Pardon the crappy camera phone pictures. I might be the last person on Earth who doesn't have a smart phone. My 2 megapixel camera phone will have to do for now!



And if you haven't heard by now, I have a few special necklaces and charms available over at SassyNPunk Boutique. Be sure to check them out!

10 comments:

Camille said...

I love the ofxes and raccoons!
Also, we have white counters here and it IS a huge pain to keep them clean! I'm cleaning counters today. :[
And don't worry, I don't have a smart phone either.

magicbeanbuyer said...

Do you ever use the Magic Eraser on the counters? I forgot I had one, and wow...that cleaned up the stains with one swipe! Magical!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I KNEW you were gonna blame me!

I like white counter tops. Remember we had them in Jackson? Here I have those faux granite counter tops. I have to put my glasses on to make sure it's clean!

Again, I can't see your pictures. Wah!

magicbeanbuyer said...

Ahaha...I forgot! I do remember you yelling at me if I tried to cut something directly on the counter. I can't wait until I have my own house and can choose my own counter!

magicbeanbuyer said...

lol....I hope my customer doesn't see your comment! Just wait till you see the completed "cute" couple!

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Well they're ZOMBIES for goodness sake!

What is their wedding in October?

magicbeanbuyer said...

haha. August actually. You should see their base I made for the figurines to sit on. It says "mmm brains", along with their names and the date.

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

And that's not supposed to be EWWWWWW?! lol

Must be a funny couple.

magicbeanbuyer said...

zombies are cool. get wit the times! lolz

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You need to bring them to that spooky gas station you went to when you were going home and set up a photo shoot.