Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Kielbasa Stew

Oh my god, I just made the most amazing stew EVER. I had a package of kielbasa thawing in the fridge. But I was really craving cabbage (I have no idea why) so I went on Allrecipes.com to search for a good recipe. They have a nifty ingredient search function so I searched for kielbasa and cabbage together and up came Kielbasa Stew.

This is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tablespoon butter
1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato soup
1 1/2 cups water
3 cups shredded cabbage
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup sour cream


DIRECTIONS
In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook sausage in butter until brown. Pour broth, tomato soup and water into pan with sausage. Stir in cabbage, onion and bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, or until flavors are well blended. Stir in sour cream and heat through before serving.


There were a few variations though...I used beef stock instead of broth (because I had it on hand) and tomato sauce instead of soup (same deal). I also added two cans of diced tomatoes and crushed red pepper. Oh and about 1/2 cup of little red potatoes. I added more cabbage also..probably closer to 4 cups. I wanted to stretch it the best I could. I still have more than half a head of cabbage left over. I guess I could make coleslaw...

Oh, and for the sourcream...I made it an individual dollop per bowl of stew instead of mixing it in the whole thing. Gives you the option if you want the extra calories at the time or not. It tasted delicious!

I wish I had a picture to show...but I'm lazy, and my bowl is empty.

4 comments:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Stop calling yourself lazy. You do a ton of stuff Jam.

Fry chopmeat and onions and mix it up with sauce and rice and wrap it up with the boiled leftover cabbage. Put it in the oven. Yum.

magicbeanbuyer said...

I'm drooling, that sounds delicious.

All Things Beadiful said...

This sounds delicious. Perfect for a wintry day.

magicbeanbuyer said...

SO good. I love stews in the winter.